Mir's Musings

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~ A.A. Milne

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Schadenfreude of couples

schadenfreude: the malicious enjoyment of another's pain

Since running into the couple in the aforementioned blog, my hubby and I have been having fun going around the house saying to one another, "Shut up! Stop touching me!" only, we can't say it with a straight face. I realized that we tend to do this a lot. Mock other couple's pain I mean. Years ago at the San Diego Wild Animal park we stood in the monorail line (there's another story about the monorail, but I'll save it for a slow blogging time) behind a young couple who continually called one another "Dumb Ass". I don't know which was worse, the fact that their little 3 year old daughter was with them, or their friend, who looked like he was really sorry that he'd agreed to come along. Whee! A family trip to see the animals!
So, yeah, from then on we've called one another dumb ass in honor of that couple.

We also get a lot of fodder from our whisky-tango neighbor. Our walls are pretty thin, so if they are outside our bedroom or bathroom, we can overhear everything they say. One fight that sticks with us is the following:

Her: "You always ...(something something, can't hear it)"
Him: NO
Her: YES
Him: NOOOOO
Her: YEEEES
Him: NOOOOOO!
Her: YEEEEEEEES!

It was great. So, yeah, you know Alan and I are all over that one. Only it's usually something ridiculous like:

Me: "No I love you more."
Alan: NO
Me: YES
etc. you get the idea.

Yes, it is nice to be perfect so that we can mock others, thank you very much. And I'm sure somewhere, some couple overheard our mockery and thought we were sincere, so they are continuing the mocking cycle. Gotta share the "love".

3 Comments:

Blogger BB said...

Mocking: Pay it Forward.

I get a lot of my mocking comments from you as well:

"Buuuuuuuuuurrrp! Good one! [to self in Airport]"

"Back it up, you know what time it is" [to horse in New Orleans]

10:07 AM  
Blogger Mir said...

And don't forget that lady in the elevator the day before Thanksgiving, who out of the blue chanted: "Turkey turkey turkey turkey turkey turkey turkey!" She was sooo mock-worthy.

8:29 PM  
Blogger BB said...

Ah yes, how can I forget?! I wish your blog had audio for that one.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home