Mir's Musings

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~ A.A. Milne

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Fun with commuting

Now that I am working downtown in the big city, I take the train, then the bus. It's great fun. Here are some things I've learned:

1)People smell funny.
2) I hate loud talkers, especially those who sit near me.
3) Most people are very anti-social and will take up two seats and get angry if you ask if the seat next to them is free.
4) Caltrain conductors are pretty friendly, and will help you when the drunk man next to you falls in the aisle and won't let you pass him so that you can get off the train.
5) Muni drivers have no souls.
6) If one is going to commit suicide by jumping in front of a train, it's required to do so during commute times.
7) People smell funny. (It's worth repeating)

One morning not too long ago, our train hit a lady a couple of stations south of ours, so it was going to be at least an hour delayed. We were standing at the station trying to figure out if we wait for the train or drive up. We decide to drive. There's this woman who sometimes stands with us. We secretly call her Rain Cloud, because she'll always find the negative in everything. You know, "Hey, isn't this weather awesome!?" "Yeah, if you like the hole in the ozone layer and the skin cancer we're all getting." So, once we decide to drive, Rain Cloud invites herself along! Hmm. okay. We're walking to Alan's car, and we hear Rain Cloud behind us say to the other woman, Clara, "The train is an hour delayed so we're driving in." Clara: “Okay, great." She starts following us too. So now Rain Cloud has invited herself, as well as Clara, who by the way, is blind, so now a seeing eye dog is coming too. Alan says, "Uh, I don't know if we have enough room." Rain Cloud says we'll all fit just fine. Clara is ready to bow out. Then Alan & I kind of realize, what kind of jerks are we to leave the blind woman and her dog behind? So, we all cram into the car. It smells like wet dog and stale cigarettes (Clara smokes), we're stuck in a slow commute with Rain Cloud blathering the whole time about everything that's wrong with public transportation, the radio, etc. Oh, and get this, I point out a rainbow, and she says, "It's not even a rainbow. It's just a rainball. It doesn't even make an arch." Holy crap, she found something negative about a rainbow!

We get lots of Karma points for our Seinfeld-like commute!

5 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

wow, rain cloud sounds awesome! you guys are so lucky to see her every weekday.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Ilana said...

We missed bloggy too. And how come this kinda stuff only happens to you, sister?! Love this story.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, how DOES this stuff happen to you? Perhaps it's God's way of telling you to blog again. :)

If this was a "Seinfeld" adventure, at least you didn't start hurling epithets like Michael Richards did.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Mir said...

I'm just lucky I guess, to be surrounded by interesting people! Life is never dull, that's for sure.

I'll try to keep up the blogging!

11:57 AM  
Blogger wen said...

i love the nickname. although, myself would have sarcastically called her 'sunshine'

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home