Mir's Musings

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~ A.A. Milne

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Just Tell Me How It Ends

I admit it. I read the last page of a book before I’m even half way through. I can’t stand the suspense. I also like to know the end of movies. It makes me feel clever. For instance, the other night we watched “Million Dollar Baby”. I knew how it ended, so I could announce all of the foreshadowing.

What can I say? I’m delicate. If I’d known the twist in “The Sixth Sense” I wouldn’t have had freakish nightmares afterwards. I don’t like horror/gory movies, but am fascinated by them, so I just make my friends tell me the end. “They are all really ghosts.” “They really are living in a park in New York City and not the 1700’s.” “She’s really a guy.” “He cuts out his frontal lobe and forces him to eat his own brain.” “They escape from zombie invaded earth only to arrive at another planet that is already infested with zombies.” “Brad Pitt and Edward Norton are really the same guy but with a split personality.”

See? That’s six movies that I can skip, but feel satisfied.

As far as book endings, usually there are all these new characters that have been added in, so I’m totally confused and have to keep reading, not that I wouldn’t anyway. But if I’m going to invest time caring about a character that is just going to be dead in the end, I want to be mentally prepared. I told you I was delicate.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

“Brad Pitt and Edward Norton are really the same guy but with a split personality.”

*** Is that REALLY how Mr. and Mrs. Smith ends? Good. Now I don't have to watch it.

1:16 PM  
Blogger BB said...

I feel that way about scary movies, but not books. I like the sense that something different MAY happen even if I know the outcome. What? Seabiscuit DIES?!? No, if I keep reading, he may live.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Mir said...

I just made a co-worker tell me the plot twist of "Flight Plan". Check one more movie off the list that I don't need to see.

Good one Tami. Just don't ever tell me the ending of "The Facts of Life Reunion". Thanksgiving's WHEN?!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one for you ladies..... aside from the 6-pack abs and hunky men in shorts, Anapolis is a waste of time! No plot, bad acting, and Mr. Loser becomes 'smart' overnight after accepting his roommate's help in 'military history'! Basically, the type of movie that you "Mute" and watch while you're put on hold by PG&E....

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really should start some sort of co-op, where one of us "takes it for the team" and sees a movie the others are ambivalent about. Then that person can tell the ending, and the others can decide whether or not they want to spend their $10 on it, or if they'd rather save it for three lattes. (Or, buy a rehab latte for the person who spared them from a cinematic tragedy.)

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home