My Life as a Movie Quote
Sometimes I feel like I can encapsulate my life by movie references. Several examples from this weekend:
You know the funeral scene in “Four Weddings and a Funeral”? Okay, so the dreamy Gareth has just lost the love of his life, and he reads this poem called Funeral Blues. But it’s kind of sexy, because of his Scottish brogue. Yum. (Drooling …) Wait, what was I talking about? Oh right, death. On Friday I attended a memorial service for a close friend of the family, and while no one read this poem, there was a poem printed in the little service booklet thingy (what is the official name for those? You know, it has the deceased picture on the front – but I mean, when they were still alive. It would be kinda creepy to have a post-mortem picture - , and DOB, DOD, etc.) Anyway, I couldn’t read it (in my head) without the Scottish brogue. And of course, in my head, my Scottish brogue is really damn sexy.
Oh, something else from the memorial service is that I met the guy who does the reservation message for The Stinking Rose! Years ago when I called to make a reservation, (and it’s still the same message, I just checked, so call and you’ll see what I’m talking about) anyway, since this restaurant is in North Beach (Italian part of SF, for you out-of-towners) I thought that the guy was supposed to be Italian. I hang up the phone and say to my friends, “That is the WORST Italian accent I’ve ever heard.” Um, yeah, that’s because it’s a dead-on Transylvania accent. Duh. It’s a GARLIC restaurant. Anyway, the guys name is Ray, and he is this adorable old guy who in real life does not sound like Dracula. But he did do a dead-on Roy (of Siegfried and Roy) impression as part of the service. I can’t even go into the details of it … let’s just say it was very moving and I laughed and cried at his speech. If you get a chance to dine at The Stinking Rose, try to get Raymond as your server. He’ll be very rude … it’s part of his act.
Next movie reference: “When Harry Met Sally”. Any woman of my generation has gotten a lot of mileage out of the quotes from this movie.
Today I was hanging with my friend Lee, and we had a whole discussion about “I spy a family” and cold Italian tiles on the kitchen floor. I’m not going into details. Girls, you’ve seen the movie, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.
Third movie reference: “The Princess Bride”. There are so many fabulously silly lines from this movie. We were discussing places we want to visit in the UK, and Lee mentioned the white cliffs of Dover, so of COURSE I had to mention that I want to visit The Cliffs of Insanity. Again, I’m not going into details. If you haven’t seen this classic over and over again, shame on you. I find if INCONTHIEVABLE to not love this movie.

1 Comments:
Ashamed to say, I've never seen the Princess Bride. It's so quoted by my friends though, i feel like I have seen it.
My life in quotes centers on high brow movies such as "So I Married an Axe Murderer" and "Zoolander." Because I am really really ridiculous good looking.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home