The Before and After

I love before and after anything ... television shows that clean up people's cluttered houses, pictures before and after makeovers, a city street 1890 vs. present. I meant to just post this picture that Alan made for me. (Right - June 2007. Left - March 2008) He says for me to tell you that the bad PhotoShop job is intentional.
The picture on the right (me, 25 lbs heavier) was taken at my cousin's home in Denver. It was the viewing of these pictures that made me realize that I needed to make some changes.I'm pretty hard on myself. I know I'm not the only one. And I suppose it's rather telling that even though I know I've lost multiple dress sizes, I still think of myself as the chubby girl. I caught myself saying to some co-workers only last week, that "if only I were thin I'd..." And since I'm having such a struggle looking in the mirror and noticing any changes, Alan made this photo for me. It's kind of shocking. But the sad thing is, when I first looked at it, I didn't say, "Damn, I am hot!" I said, "Damn, look how FAT I was."
Right before I posted this, I got a call for a survey about California Health. Usually I ignore these calls, but for some reason, I decided to answer the 10 - 15 minutes of questions. They started out with the usual: how much does your household make, your age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, then moved into the health. How much do you drink, are you depressed, do you smoke, do you exercise, when is the last time you had a physical exam. Okay, whatever. All pretty healthy answers. I was feeling almost guilty for being so well balanced and healthy. As a person selected at random, was I *really* representative of 500 Californians? Ah, but then they got into the childhood questions. And, before you think they are nosy SOB's, note that you can skip any question if you like. And, after they conclude the interview, they offer to give you any phone numbers that you like for help with any issues. Before the age of 18, did you live in a household where someone was depressed, and threatened to take their life? Yes. Did you live in a household where someone was physically abusive? Yes. Did someone more than 5 years older than you sexually assault you, or force you to have sex? Yes and Yes. Did you ever go without meals because there was no money to buy food? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.Then they ask a slew of questions about your mental health, to which I had healthy answers. No, I don't think about taking my life. No, I don't have trouble doing day to day tasks. I sleep normal hours. I can go to work with no troubles. People don't tell me that I'm being hyper, or that I'm moving or talking so slow that they call me out on it. I have an amazing support system, and I can get help when and if I need it.
I don't like to think about where I've come from, but I guess that I do need to remind myself from time to time how far I've come. The first thing that should come to mind is that not, "Look how FAT I was!" But how I've survived and endured, and will continue to do so!Labels: challenges, childhood, goals, low moral, weight watchers

12 Comments:
You ARE hot!
good for you, princess. perspective is a wonderful thing.
and you rock!
That is one impressive transformation, and not just the picture, although that's impressive as well.
So, just to summarize and remind you some more.....all the good stuff in your life has come from YOU and what you do and the things you have brought into your life, you ain't just survivin' baby, your thriving...
V.
ps. you are awesome...so proud of you for everything...this is just the latest hill you've climbed...and lest we forget: freakin marathon runner!!!
Congratulations on your success!
what virg said - she's right - all the good stuff is from what you've done, so you're doing way better than just surviving. you're kicking all sorts of ass, and that's some HOT ASS you're kicking.
oh, and that's some SWEET photoshopping alan!
OMG, you look AMAZING! Go, girl!
yes, yes, and YES!
Hi Yum Yum. It is about 11pm and I was off to bed and decided to check Mir's Musings for some reason and I am glad I did. I had started to read this post once before and I'm not sure why, but I didnt' finish. I'm glad I finished reading it tonight! I have a smile on my face because I know how hard life can be at times and it is great to read your words, some of which I'm sure were hard to put out for the world to read, but you have accomplished a great deal and in so many ways. Thanks for sharing.
Hey Everyone! Know that you are all my amazing support group! I couldn't be who I am without all of YOU!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home