Mir's Musings

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~ A.A. Milne

Friday, August 15, 2008

19 Years

On August 15, 1989 I was an insecure 17 year old, taking her first commercial flight. I was leaving rural Pennsylvania for San Francisco. I was leaving all of my friends and family for the unknown. I was moving in with relatives who I barely knew.

As all adults do when we talk about time passing, I really have to go with the cliche of, "I can't believe how quickly the years have flown by."

In 19 years I've earned a degree, found true love, gotten married, made amazing friends, traveled the world, ran a marathon, own property, have a successful career, and continue to grow and learn.

I want to thank my aunt and uncle for taking me in. I think we all endured a lot of growing pains together, and have come out okay! Bunny and Gary - you ROCK! To this day, Bunny reminds me of my "anniversary" and always makes sure that we celebrate what I now refer to as my "emancipation from Pennsylvania".

Thank you to all of my friends, from the east coast to the west, for always believing in me!

And a special thank my younger self for taking a risk and moving away from the familiar. And for reminding me that it's okay to have doubts and feel insecure, because in the long run it will all be worth it.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

happy emancipation proclamation day! i'm glad you emigrated west. :)

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so, so glad you made the big move, and I don't think you give yourself enough credit for how brave that was.

Yay you! And California!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Ditto what they said. I got a little teary reading that post. Congrats to you and here's to taking risks no matter how scary!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say yes to adventure Miriam.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Mir said...

Thanks again for all of the love!

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your post Mir. It is amazing to look back on the past and see just how far we have come.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home