Mir's Musings

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~ A.A. Milne

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Trapped

Something else that's on my mind re. job security. Alan being out of work soon makes me feel trapped. I am so sick of hearing, "In these tough economic times ...". The crappy economy makes me feel trapped.

In the grand scheme of things, my job is okay. I don't love it. I don't want to do it forever. I really like my co-workers. The pay is good. The benefits are good. Do I want to be somewhere else, doing something different? Just about every day. Is now the time to be looking for an out? Nope.

I wish I were one of those people who could have a devil may care attitude. I would like to not be such a worrier. But, that's not the cloth I'm cut from. In fact, when someone was telling me about a friend who had quit his job and was traveling around the world, living out of van, and I thought, "yuck, I would hate that." It's the same reason I probably wouldn't enjoy contracting ... I'd be too worried about the unknown.

While I'm working on being more adventurous, and trying to live life to the fullest, I know I still have a long way to go. And maybe I'll never get there, so in the meantime I'll work on being okay with who and where I am.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Goon: said...

Thanks for posting Mir. It's good to hear from you. Its ok to worry. You always have my shoulder to worry on!

10:27 PM  
Blogger heather said...

boy do i relate. substitute 'alan being out of work' with 'my partner only gets disability $' -- and mediocre pay/benefits -- and we could be twins. i still LOOK for another job periodically, and apply when i see a good one but meantime - yeah. bleh.

the only good thing i can say about my job - other than the fact i have it - is that sometimes i have free time for writing. thank god for that not-so-little miracle.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is hard to have a devil may care attitude when the devil MIGHT CARE.

As we've talked about, I totally get the worrying -- people can tell you not to worry or that worry doesn't accomplish anything, but that doesn't stop it from existing. :)

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home