Mir's Musings

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~ A.A. Milne

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Another Cliche

Can you go home again? It has been at least three years since I've ventured back to Pennsyltucky.

Pennsyltucky = extremely rural Pennsylvania; as in, next door neighbors are Amish.

I'm going "home" next weekend. Well, first we'll be in Manhattan, then we'll drive the 5 hours "home". I need at least 5 days in the big city before venturing to the land of cow shit and sheep. For years, I dreaded going back. In fact, I would often just go to see friends in NYC, and not bother to go to PA. Or worse, I'd see friends from my home town, but not tell my family that I was there. Then I'd hope like hell that no friends of my mom's would recognize me and rat me out.

But this time, I'm going home on purpose. I'm going to visit those places that make me physically ill when I drive by - pushing the economy rental car to go faster than any 3 cylinder car was meant to go.

And maybe it's because I'll have Alan with me - the best support system EVER. He thinks of where I grew up as a "lawless wild west" (even though it's really the "wild east") Because you shoot fireworks from the back yard, and take 4 x 4 trucks through creek beds, creating your own roads. He only has fond memories of my hometown, no icky emotions embedded in his skull.

I'm getting a little homesick - and for the first time in a long time, I'm actually looking forward to a trip home.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

what a conflicted image you're painting! i hope you have a good visit out there and create some of your own roads, princess.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Light one of those barns on fire and you'll feel just fine. It always works for me.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home