Mir's Musings

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~ A.A. Milne

Friday, September 28, 2007

Two Quick Gripes from the Pennsylvania Gal

I continue to be astounded by people's lack of understanding in regards to geography and culture. And I'm not even talking about the world - I get it if you don't know exactly where Myanmar is - I'm just talking about basic U.S. 5th grade Social Studies.

First, let me answer the most common question that people ask me when they learn that I grew up in rural Pennsylvania:

No. I am not Amish. Seriously. I am not. The fact that I am typing on a computer should give you a huge clue. Or that I'm not wearing a bonnet and am actually talking to you. Check out my fancy zippers.

Secondly, let me clear this up for those of you who are not geographically inclined:

Philadelphia is a CITY within the STATE of Pennsylvania.
And when you say that I grew up in Philadelphia and I correct you - don't say, "Whatever, same thing." Let me assure you, it is not the same thing at all. Philadelphia is a thriving metropolis with a population of over 1.4 million. It has tall buildings and highways. I grew up a good five hour drive from Philadelphia, in a town with a population of 289 (as of 2006) that has a land area of 2.27 square miles.

T'is a fine post to your blog English, but t'is no barn.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time you should say, "I WAS Amish, but I went through Rumspringa, had one too many great times using the horseless buggy, and was shunned. I had to move all the way to the Bay Area to find someplace that felt comfortable for me."

4:36 PM  
Blogger Hazel Nootsmaak said...

I like it when you're all snarky and dissing the Amish. Was it Ms. Blinky discounting the geographical differences? You don't have to answer that, but I'd like to think it's her, cause she seems pretty stupid.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Mir said...

It was actually not Ms. Blinky - but good a very good guess. It was sweet Ms. Wong asking if I was Amish.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home