A Small Revelation
I had a light bulb moment yesterday. I've been struggling with my fiction writing for, oh, let's just say a year. I'm sure it's much longer. I kind of suck. I tried to quit my writer's group, but they wouldn't let me. They told me some lie about how I really am a talented writer, and not to give up, or some such nonsense.
I've been reading, "I Was Told There'd be Cake" and enjoying the quirky essays, which kind of reminded me of my writing. And that's when it hit me. This is what I should be writing. Essays. Little snippets of life. Like a blog post, but longer. Sedaris-like without the gayness. I'm more about funny. I'm more about making fun of myself. I think I might be onto something.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Labels: writing

3 Comments:
The only piece of fiction of yours I think I've encountered was something you read at Club One night; if I recall it was definitely funny and I think (sorry if I'm wrong) it was also very personal and tinged with bittersweet and something that the listener/reader really figured was true.
So that's something you have in common with Sedaris, I suppose, but I think your flavor is different. And it shows up in your blogging, and in your everyday storytelling. Your stories are awesome, there's a definite voice, a view of the world that is uniquely yours that draws us in and makes us feel...mostly humor, but it induces a feeling.
I always want to marvel at the fact that "those things" only happen to you, but of course, it's you as editor, you are taking the range of experiences we all have and parsing them for the great stories that get formed through your voice.
So, yeah. Go! (I'll stop with this now)
What he said - Go!
Yes! Write Mir, write. I'm thrilled you are posting to your blog again.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home