What month is it? Where am I?
As I get older, I realize that I've no concept of time anymore. Oh, I don't mean the time of day. I'm not that old. I mean the months. Sometimes I have to stop and really think ... is Christmas coming up? No wait, is it still Spring? I think part of this is not having any monumental moments to measure against. In school, I always had summer vacation to look forward to. Even in college, summer meant that I could work full-time, or take on another job.
Now that I work in downtown San Francisco, I don't even get a clue from the weather. It's cold and foggy - hmm, is it October? Or maybe it's June? At least if it's raining I can kind of figure it's somewhere between November and April.
What I've realized recently is that I now have a new season barameter. It's the American Greeting's card store that I have to pass by to get to work. It's right on the way to or from the Muni/BART station, so I pass it every day.
When I saw the plush dogs holding hearts I knew it was February. When I saw the flowers with "Mom" bows, I knew it was May. And now there are teddy bears with grad caps, so I know it's June. Made up holidays are saving my sanity.

2 Comments:
you know what else is good for this? calendars.
not on your phone or computer-- the old fashioned, put it on the wall kind. that's why i always have one nearby, because otherwise i would be completely clueless.
Yes, right! Good ol' fashioned calendars! But I don't always have those with me in my pre-work pre-coffee state.
And I was also thinking about how card stores put out Christmas items in July. I as so screwed.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home